Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Pilgrim's Progress

I have discovered that my computer will not access this site due to age and a bad attitude. It probably learned this from me. So, I'm writing this from the Sausalito Library computer. The news to date is this: due to the Writer's Guild Strike, LA is "dead" at present. My plans are to take a short reconnaissance patrol for 3 or 4 days early in December with Jasper to talk to people in the areas we are interested in living (Venice Beach, Marina Del Rey) and check on prices in the neighborhoods. Then, go in 2008 for a long-range stay (mostly to be determined by available funds and the possibility of work outside film: teaching martial arts, security work, and other fields to be discovered.

I want to thank all the people who have been so generous with their assistance in accomplishing this move. First, Shari Carlson and all the creative people in her studio for their enthusiasm and support. Especially Shari for her unwavering commitment and belief in this dream, as well as her gracious hosting of this site.

I need to thank Joel Riggs for his management of NickScoggin.com and his genius as a webmaster. I am thankful for this patronage and a place to keep in touch with all of my supporters in the Bay Area.

I am particularly grateful to Robert Nadeau Sensei for taking me into the City Aikido family and teaching me what I have sought in this art since childhood. My debt to him and the founder of Aikido will always inform my life inside and outside the dojo. I feel honored to be in the company of a truly masterful sensei and great human being. And I cannot overlook his wife, Katia, who has been supportive of me as if I were one of her family. Thank you.

I should also remind people of the upcoming Weapons Takeaway Seminar on Dec. 2, two weeks from now. Open to the public if you would like to see a good show. Go to City Aikido website for more info. Thank you, Sensei.

My thanks to Frank Pryor for his unrelenting aid in all things photographic and his patience with this dinosaur from another age, and for his friendship. And all the myriad people in dojo and studio too numerous to mention at this time.

My time is running out, so stay tuned. There will be more, hopefully daily from here on.

I love you all.

1 comment:

Pyewacket (Amy) said...

Oh Nick, I will miss your presence in the dojo terribly. I am truly grateful for your teachings, your kindness, and your patience. Part of me doesn’t want you to go, but the other part knows that this is an essential move for you and it may offer you the success you’ve been dreaming about! I hope that you can achieve what you want to achieve in LA. But, I also hope that you return to the area and to the dojo. Wishing you the best success!!!! - Amy